Spokane is Reading was started in 2001 as a way to inspire conversation amongst readers about a common topic – a book.
Another goal of Spokane is Reading is to encourage reading by adults. The planning committee (representatives from Spokane Public Library, Spokane County Library District and Auntie’s Bookstore) get together each year to select a title. This is no easy task; some of the criteria considered are:
- The length and content of the book must be accessible
- The book must appeal to wide variety of people
- Recommendations from Spokane is Reading attendees
- The author must be living and able to travel to Spokane at a reasonable cost
- The book must be available in a wide variety of formats (large print or audiobook, preferrably paperback, etc.)